Thursday, February 08, 2018

Emotional Impact

"What just happened?" Eli 16.6 asked.

"I have no idea, buddy," I said. "No idea."

TEN MINUTES EARLIER
Eli is laughing. He's laughing, and he looks at me, and he says, "I'm crying." I've been trying not to cry until that point, and then I'm laughing, and a few seconds later, I feel big tears rolling down my cheeks.

We're both laughing so hard we can hardly breathe, and we're crying at the same time.

The reason we're laughing is that we're watching Paddington 2, and we're both crying.

I love the Paddington books, and this was faithful to the books, but the story was much darker and much more affecting than anyone on Earth could possibly expect, and the emotional impact hit both of us very hard.

And funny. It was very, very funny. And action. At one point, I leaned over and whispered, "This is practically a Bourne movie." Eli burst out laughing, but it was true.

"I'm wrecked," he said, on the drive home. "I'm going to have to recover before practice," he said, laughing.


Site Meter