Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The Greatest Rack

Eli 14.11 has been working on advanced Rubik's Cube solving.

I can't really explain it--he sort of flips it behind his back and it's solved--but it's very impressive. It's not really a trick, either, just a deeper understanding of the cube-solving algorithms.

"It feels kind of strange going to a new high school," he said while we were driving through town yesterday. "Like lunch. Where does the new kid sit at lunch?"

"Here's an idea," I said. "Imagine this scene. You walk into the cafeteria and everyone is looking at you because you're the new kid. You take out the Rubik's Cube, then do that move where you solve it behind your back. The nerd table immediately pulls out a chair for you and resumes eating."

"Oh god," he said. "I could almost see that actually happening."
***

We had lunch at Tom+Chee yesterday, and on the way back to the car, we saw a little girl who was walking with her parents. She was about three, and was flipping her feet out and jumping and spinning around. "In a spiritual sense, that's me," Eli said.

**

Eli was getting a new pair of goalie pants, and he was trying them on at the Livonia Perani's, which is the biggest hockey store I've ever seen.

I said something that was definitely in the smartass category, and he whirled around and hit me with the goalie pants.

Goalie pants have some heft to them.

I'm not sure how, but I got racked. Doubled over. Stayed there.

Eli laughed, then apologized, then laughed again. "Are you really hurt?" he asked. "How could I have hit that target?"

"Are you kidding me?" I asked. "That was the trench run in Star Wars."

He laughed for so long that it's the last thing I remember.

Site Meter