Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A New Rule

There are a few existing rules.

There's Godwin's Law, which states that if an Internet discussion goes on long enough, someone will inevitably mention Hitler.

There's an American version of this law--I don't have a name for it yet--which states that within the first 20 posts on any subject (even little Billy falling and scraping his knee), someone will blame Obama.

Today, I was driving home and heard a song on the radio. I'd never heard this song before--"Scandinavian Skies"--and as I listened, I thought it was a decent Beatles imitation.

Then I found out it was Billy Joel, and I realized, in that moment, that a new law had been born: Every band has a song where they imitate the Beatles.

I'm going to call this "Lennon's Law", just because of the alliteration. And it's not true of all bands, really, but it happens so often that it feels universal.

There's a sub-law to Lennon's Law, now called "Sergeant's Lament", which states that All bands want to sound like the Beatles on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Here, have a listen: Scandinavian Skies.

Site Meter