Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Meet the Beetles

"Oh, that's gross," Eli 12.11 said. Beetles have invaded Central Texas this year, and they're everywhere. This particular beetle was lying upside down on the floor, kicking its legs frantically.

"Mom, come get this," he said.

"I thought you liked bugs," I said.

"I do," he said. "But I don't like dying bugs. That freaks me out."

Gloria arrived with a paper towel, and used it to gently pick up the beetle. Then she walked outside.

A few minutes later, she returned.

"Is it dead?" Eli asked.

"No," she said, "I just turned it over. I thought it might be thirsty, so I poured some water on the deck."

Eli and I burst out laughing. "You do realize that you just tried to hydrate a beetle?" I said.

"Well, maybe he was thirsty," she said.

Later, I made this to put on the deck:



Site Meter