Thursday, August 22, 2013

Dogs (and Cats)

I saw a dog taking a walk with its owner today.

This dog (some kind of terrier) was in a harness, plus a soft leash was wrapped around the harness a couple of times. Restraint level = high.

The terrier couldn't have cared less. Man, he was loving life, prancing and showing off his swag as he walked down the sidewalk. He was John Travolta strutting in "Saturday Night Fever".

That's when it hit me: dogs love being domesticated. They can't get enough of that shit. Owners are like trophy wives to dogs. Dogs look at another dog with its owner and think "Dude's a baller."

If we hadn't domesticated dogs, they would have domesticated themselves.

Cats, on the other hand, were domesticated 10,000 years ago and still can't make up there mind whether it was a good deal.

What dogs are thinking when they look at you: "I LOVE that guy!"
What cats are thinking: "Too big to eat."

So we have cats, of course, because adulation in any form makes me very nervous. Having a dog around all the time would give me a nervous breakdown.

What I like about cats is that they are, quite often, sincerely indifferent, and I'm totally comfortable with that. They have their thing, I have mine, and sometimes we intersect and enjoy each other's company.

Good enough.

Site Meter