Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Eli 10.7: Hey, Good Lookin'

I took Eli 10.7 to Krispy Kreme on Sunday for breakfast.

He'll be version 11.0 soon. How is that even possible?

Eli has this very nice Pittsburgh Penguins watch that he loves to wear. The face of the watch has the team logo, and the casing and band are in the team colors. It's not that he has a pressing need to know the time, generally, but he loves the watch.

"I can't believe I forgot to wear my watch today," he said. I could clearly see that it was, in fact, in its usual position on his left wrist.

"Which watch are you talking about?" I asked.

He held up his arm. "This one--oh," he said, then he looked at me and we both started laughing. "How did I do that?" he asked.
***

We also went out to dinner on Friday, to a local restaurant called The Cotton Patch, which is a "down-home chain restaurant", for lack of a better description.

It's folksy.

While we were eating, a mom-type waitress walked by and said "Hello, good lookin'," to Eli. He looked up, dumbfounded, and she added, "You're welcome," and smiled as she walked off.

"What just happened?" he asked.

"Hard to say," I said. "She was friendly, but a little alarming."

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" said Eli. "Friendly but alarming! Does she know me?" This is not as odd a question as it might seem, because several waitresses have basically adopted Eli over the course of his life, and we're still friends with some of them years later.

"I don't think so," I said. "Let me think about this logically for a minute." I paused. "Actually, I'm sure she doesn't know you."

"How?" Eli asked.

"Because if she already knew you, she would have ALREADY called you handsome."

Eli burst out laughing. "Dad, that's the funniest logic ever. But I like how you think."

Site Meter