Sunday, May 22, 2011

Long Overdue

I received this e-mail last Thursday (excerpted):
For what it's worth, I've been reading you in one form or another since 2003/4, and you're starting to get boring. You don't talk about PC games much, and... physical ailments aren't that interesting to me.

As DQ Film Advisor and Nicest Guy In The World Ben Ormand would say, let's rip off the band-aid here: he's right.

Look, I've known for several years that my writing isn't as strong as it used to be. I used to be much funnier and much angrier. That was an interesting and generally readable combination.

On the flip side, though, now I'm more human, and much more personal. This enterprise has had much to do with that, and it's helped make me much more capable as a person and as a father. And while I know I'm not what I used to be, I still very much enjoy doing this, and the amount of e-mail I get from you guys hasn't gone down at all. So I know that some day I'll wind this all down, but this isn't that day, and won't be for a while.

One of the other reasons I feel like I've slipped, particularly, in the last fifteen months or so, is that I've been working on a large, "secret" project that I won't be able to mention for another 3-6 months. I think you'll laugh when I do, because it's relatively preposterous. But it's quite difficult, and I'm not done yet.

I guess what I really wanted to say is that while I know I'm older and slower, I'm glad that you're still around.

Site Meter