Thursday, November 04, 2010

Classy

[Rant on.]

Georgia assistant football coach Todd Grantham yelled "You're going to f***ing choke!" at Florida kicker Chas Henry in overtime of last weekend's game, right before Henry attempted what would be a game-winning field goal.

Grantham also put his hands around his neck in the choke sign.

Gee, what a dick.

Hey, but in the SEC, that's no problem. Here's what his head coach had to say:
“I’m aware of it,” Richt said. "I’ll just say that emotions run high. People do things they probably wish they didn’t do. So I think that was what was being communicated. I don’t think he’s necessarily proud of it. We’re just going to learn from it and move on.”

Oh, I see. So being an asshole is okay when "emotions run high."

Even better, here's Grantham's own response:
“As a competitor, sometimes you get caught up in the heat of the moment,” Grantham said. “I wish the situation hadn’t happened."

Are you kidding me?

So if you're a competitor, sometimes you're a gigantic asshole? That's kind of a logical leap, isn't it, Todd?
Maybe you can get caught up in the heat of the moment and NON act like a five-year-old who didn't get enough candy.

This is the kind of thing that makes me sick. Hey, sometimes you're a dickhead if you're trying to win. WTF? I thought the whole alleged point of sports was to teach sportsmanship? This guy is a coach, and he's doing that to a player on an opposing team?

The idea that people care more when they're acting like dicks is pathetic. The idea that something is so important that civility becomes unimportant is pathetic. This is the kind of mentality that produces Pop Warner coaches fighting on the field, that turns athletes into gigantic jerks.

They're just learning by example.

Site Meter