Thursday, April 22, 2010

And By The Way

Since I've bookmarked Grub Grade, I was reading a post there today and it referenced Burger Business, which also covers the fast food industry and is also quite a read.

Oh, and since we're discussing fast food and burgers this week, let me mention a topic used followed by something like this: *#*$(#! I'm speaking, of course, of the "veggie burger," which is generally reviled, and for good reason: they taste awful.

I occasionally try veggie burgers, because they're generally lower in fat (and saturated fat), and I'm old, and I have to pay attention to shit like that. But they usually taste so bad that I have to put cheese on them, which defeats the whole "saturated fat piety" bandwagon I jumped on by eating one to start with.

That brings us to Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, which has a Pflugerville location that's on the route to my favorite unicycle course. After I ride, I'm starving, so I usually stop and have some french fries, at least (and an occasional burger). Last week, though, on some kind of demented whim, I decided to try the Veggieburger.

It was great.

Seriously, it was freaking great. It was spicy, with a black bean influence, and instead of just taking a few bites and throwing it away (what I expected), I ate the whole thing and had one again on Tuesday. No cheese necessary.

Freddy's has kind of a funky franchise distribution--the Southwest not including California, then a few restaurants in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri--but if you're near one, it's worth taking a look.

Site Meter