Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band, LEGO Rock Band, And Band Hero

I've almost reached four million points in my drum career in The Beatles: Rock Band. That puts me around 4,600 on the leaderboards, so I'm in the top five percent, but there are still at least 15-20 songs on Expert that I haven't five-starred yet.

Snare rolls, in particular, are my nemesis.

I do have gold stars on seven songs, which is always a special treat (because I don't get many of them). And I need to apologize to Ringo, clearly, because his drum lines are very clever and tremendously fun to play.

So my interest in TB: RB hasn't waned at all, and I'm really looking forward to both Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (November) and Rubber Soul (December).

However, and I think this speaks to the general genre saturation at this point, I have no interest in LEGO Rock Band. While I am deeply enamored of both LEGO and Rock Band separately, I have no real desire to see them together, and the song list is interesting but not desperately necessary. It's just not worth buying the game for $60 [correction: it's $50, although the same rationale applies at that price] just to pay another $10 to export the songs. I'd rent the game and pay the $10, but the one-time code prevents that option.

I think I have roughly 300 songs between RB, RB2, and RB:TB, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Band Hero? Zero interest as well. The pop angle is interesting, and it might sell decently, but it's not for me.

I don't know how anyone has time to play more than one instrument, let alone more than one game. Once I started playing the drums, it's taken almost 100% of my time, just because of the sheer amount of learning required to get better. So even without LRB, there are oceans of content I'm not even touching.

I can't believe it--apparently, I'm saturated.

Site Meter