Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Palace Jeweler Can Make A Tiny Home For The Princess

I was in Fry's on Sunday and say the Blu-Ray version of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad on sale for $9.99.

Sold.

Eli 7.9 has never seen this movie, and while I consider an introduction to the work of Ray Harryhausen a mandatory part of any kid's education, I was concerned that the film itself (made in 1958) was going to be so dated that he wouldn't be interested.

Boy, was I wrong.

He was wowed by the special effects (which are impressive, even today), survived the kissing ("Man! There is a LOT of kissing in this movie!"), and thought it was absolutely hilarious that a Cyclops was trying to turn a barbecue spit (it was).

The movie holds up amazingly well, considering that it was released over half a century ago. The transfer isn't going to wow you or anything, but the colors are much more vivid and pleasing in the Blu-Ray version. Lots and lots of grain, and this film doesn't look nearly as good as some other Blu-Ray transfers from that era, but it's still impressive.

I'm not sure if girls would like this film nearly as much, but if you have a boy in the 7-9 range, he's the perfect age to enjoy this. And I really enjoyed it as well.

That post title is my favorite line from the film, after the evil magician shrinks the princess.

Site Meter