Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gaming Links And Notes

First off, Harmonix announced Lego Rock Band this week, and after an initial WTF moment, I think the idea of making a more kid-friendly and kid-specialized version of Rock Band is a terrific idea. Since they're much smarter than I am, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt, anyway.

George Paci sent me a link to an amazing article about a new use of Guitar Hero, and here's an excerpt:
Researchers at Johns Hopkins University have made the popular Guitar Hero game into a tool for amputees who are being fitted with the next generation of artificial arms. With a few electrodes and some very powerful algorithms, amputees can hit all the notes of Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” using only the electrical signals from their residual muscles.

Incredible!

Matt Sakey's excellent Culture Clash column has a new installment, and he's also started a new site called Tap-Repeatedly, which is a gaming website with a broad focus.

Sirius sent me a link to an IGN Australia article titled Top 100 Game Creators Of All-Time, and even if there's plenty to disagree with, there's also plenty of very interesting detail on individual developers.

Ryan Leasher sent me a link to another brilliant video by The Onion, this one titled Hot New Video Game Consists Solely Of Shooting People Point-Blank In The Face. I think they described my recent complaint far better than I did.

Site Meter