Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Throw It Down, Big Man

Deadspin has a post today with a Nerf basketball highlight reel. From a dorm room at Vanderbilt, in case you're wondering.

I don't know if you guys played much Nerf basketball growing up, but I did. I had a hoop in the house when I was a kid, and I would shoot for hours. Orange foam ball, orange plastic rim, and a monofilament net. It was great.

In college, almost all of us had some kind of basketball hoop in our rooms. In one of my dorms, though, we had a hoop in the television/rec room. It was about eight feet up (the room had high ceilings), so the games weren't all dunkathons.

I had one friend who had been a great runner in high school, but went to college and gained about thirty pounds. He was short, only about 5'3", and round. I came in one day and he was running up to the wall, planting one foot on the wall, and leaping up to slam dunk.

He was wearing Nike waffle trainers, which had black soles, and, um, he hadn't noticed that every time he planted on the wall and leaped, he left a giant black mark on the wall. About fifty of them.

Those marks were still there when I graduated the next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still there today.

So anyway, if you have fond Nerf hoop memories, the video is here. It's actually much funnier (and much more nostalgic) if you listen to it without the sound.

Site Meter