Monday, December 11, 2006

I'm Screwed Update

A SpinRite level 4 diagnostic found one unrecoverable sector on the hard drive. So my theory, pending correction from all of you who are far brighter about this than I am, is that Windows runs fine until it needs something from that sector. Which would mean my Windows install is corrupt, but fortunately Outlook, etc., all run fine, and I can even do a .pst export with no problem.

I also replaced the power supply today, and the voltages stopped fluctuating. This new power supply (Seasonic S12 650w) is rock-solid and it is freaking silent. It's amazingly quiet.

That will be the power supply I'll use when I build the new system. This gives me a chance to put it through a one-month shakedown cruise.

So the plan right now is to try to reinstall Windows over the top of the existing installation. I can't really face up to doing that now, since we're leaving for Shrevepit on Thursday, but I could do it when we get back.

That may change in consultation with PC Jedi Master John Harwood and you guys, but that's what it looks like for now.

Site Meter