Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Reuters: Sheer Comedy Genius

Here's one of the best opening paragraphs I've ever read (Reuters):
ASTANA, Kazakhstan (Reuters) -- Kazakhstan's Foreign Ministry threatened legal action Monday against a British comedian who wins laughs by portraying the central Asian state as a country populated by drunks who enjoy cow-punching as a sport.

I'm sure he was sitting at the keyboard thinking "Man, I'm about to get paid for writing this!" Sheer comedy genius. The British comedian referenced in the story, by the way, is Sacha Baron Cohen, otherwise known as the brilliant Ali G.

I've also noticed that when you look at a row of headlines, sometimes your brain does some funky things combining them. Tonight I looked at MSNBC and saw these two headlines:
--Chicago mayor declares 'Julie Andrews Day'
--Pujols narrowly beats Jones for NL MVP

Do you know what I saw instead, though?
Chicago narrowly declares 'Julie Andrews Day'

Site Meter