Thursday, August 18, 2005

Lost

After Eli's first computer class (not his Japanese class) at pre-school, I thought I would ask him a few questions on tape about computers and give you his wisdom unedited. I could not, however, find my tape recorder.

"Have you seen that little digital tape recorder?" I asked Gloria. "I had it on top of the stereo cabinet for, oh, months."

"Yes, you did," she said. "And I got tired of having it up there, so I put it on the desk in your study, in plain sight."

"Oh, no. So what you're saying, then, is that it's lost," I said. It's true. Once I know where something is, it's hard-wired into my brain. Move it six inches and it's gone forever, because I won't be able to find it.

"It's right in your study on the desk."

"Hopelessly, totally lost," I said. "Eli?"

"What, daddy?"

"Mommy lost daddy's tape recorder." He laughs.

"Just wait a minute," Gloria said, and she disappeared into the study. I have no idea how she bypassed the security keypad. Seconds later, she emerged. "Here it is," she said, holding up my tape recorder. "Good grief."

"Well, since you lost it, I think it was only fair," I said.

Site Meter