Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Team America

We saw Team America last weekend.

Make no mistake, this movie will offend you--by design. Everyone will be offended at some point. It skewers the far left and the far right with equal ferocity, it's vulgar, it's juvenile, and it's utterly tasteless.

It's also damned funny. Man, is it ever funny. I was almost in tears at least three times because I was laughing so hard that I just couldn't stop. I was laughing so hard that I could hardly even breathe. The humor is just wickedly sharp in many places. Make no mistake, even though Trey Parker and Matt Stone are juvenile, they're also brilliant.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb is probably the finest American comedy ever made and certainly the finest dark comedy ever. While I was watching Team America, I thought of Dr. Strangelove several times, because Parker and Stone, on occasion, rise to a level of comedy that most people never reach in in their entire careers. I can't think of a higher compliment than that.

Site Meter